Online advertising and 15 interesting statements about its future

The rapidly changing advertising landscape has generated a great deal of discussion about what to expect from online advertising in the near future. Almost all experts agree that the future of online advertising will be customized, automated, experimental and measurable.

  1. During the Adobe Think Tank Discussion at Advertising Week 2017, Phil Gogran, Chief US Integration Officer at McGarryBowen, made a bold prediction: by 2022, 80% of the online advertising process will be automated. The other 20% will include elements such as brand value, storytelling, and other experimental tactics that will always need a human approach.
  2. Video is now one of the biggest opportunities for advertisers, with 90% of users watching online or mobile video at least once a week. As a result, video advertising costs reached $ 9 billion in the U.S. in 2017, up from $ 5.47 billion in 2015. These costs are expected to continue to increase.
  3. There is no doubt that online advertising will become more exciting. A recent YouMe survey found that VR advertising, for example, helps get same-day feedback for 70% of users.
  4. Internet advertising will also become more personalized. A Rocket Fuel study found that 80% of Generation Ys see value in brands that attract them with personalized ads and offers.
  5. Gartner says that by 2019, 20% of user interactions with smartphones will go through virtual personal assistants.
  6. Also, by 2019, eMarketer predicts that 83.6% of digital ads in the US will be broadcast.
  7. A Freeman study shows that one in three managers expects to spend 201% to 50% of their 2018 budgets on empirical advertising.
  8. Social media will remain an important advertising channel for brands. Zenith predicts that social media advertising will cost $ 50.2 billion in 2019 and surpass print ads by 2020.
  9. By 2020, over one billion people worldwide will have regular access to AR and VR content, IDC predicts.
  10. Juniper Research reports that the cost of digital advertising through mobile, portable and online devices will exceed $ 285 billion. By 2020, up from about $ 160 billion in 2016, this will be driven by an annual 22% increase in mobile advertising costs as brands and retailers continue to invest in mobile consumer engagement.
  11. Revenue from advertising technology will increase to 300% by 2020 – from $ 30 billion in 2015 to $ 100 billion by 2020, according to Technology Business Research.
  12. As companies continue to invest heavily in infrastructure, the cost of marketing technology will continue to increase. At the end of 2018, WMO spent $ 32.3 billion on marketing technology.
  13. By 2023, the 5G network is expected to reach 1 billion subscribers, about 20% of the world’s population, according to the latest Ericsson Mobility Report. This will affect the experience of mobile advertising (such as streaming video VR and virtual assistants) that brands can provide to both potential and current customers.
  14. BIA / Kelsey Ad Agency estimates in 2018 suggest total online advertising revenue in the US in 2018 will reach $ 151.2 billion, compared to $ 143.8 billion in 2017, and 5, 2%. Traditional media will account for 64.7% of revenue and online/digital for 35.3%. BIA / Kelsey defines local advertising as all advertising platforms that provide access to local audiences for national, regional and local marketers.
  15. According to eMarketer, digital advertising will account for 51.3% of the total US advertising spend in 2021.